The Mediterranean diet is an award-winning approach to meals. It’s a diet that’s rich in fruits and vegetables, whole grains, beans and seeds, as well as extra virgin olive oil, and it comes with the added benefit of a reduced risk of diabetes, high cholesterol, depression, breast cancer, and other health conditions. Sound good? Your waistline will benefit too! And in Reno, you can enjoy the Mediterranean diet here at La Famiglia.
Eating the Mediterranean Way
We’ve written about method of eating before, but it’s worth going over the many benefits of the Mediterranean diet again. Mediterranean cuisine as a whole has been linked to things like stronger bones, longer lifespans, healthier hearts, and weight loss too. But it isn’t the food alone, though the fact that it’s light on things like dairy, poultry, eggs, and red meat doesn’t hurt. The greater impact of the Mediterranean diet is its focus on long, lingering meals with good company and mindful enjoyment of the food.
That aligns beautifully with what we offer here at La Famiglia. A meal with us isn’t just a meal – it’s an experience! But if eating light is important to you, we understand, and we can make recommendations to help. Keep these tips in mind:
- Choose fresh seafood like mussels, clams, scampi, scallops
- Consider controlling portion size by ordering from the appetizer menu
- Try fresh vegetable dishes – we suggest our grilled artichoke hearts and eggplant parmesan
- Enjoy any of our salads or our vegetable soup and ciuppino
- Try chicken and veal dishes, including our piccata, marsala, and saltimbocca
Keep in mind that all of our pasta dishes can be swapped for spaghetti squash, which means all the flavor of our sauces with fewer calories and a boost of nutrients.